Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Jesus/Amen.
Lately, Kylan has really been picking up on the idea of Jesus, and also prayer and the word "amen". She must be very perceptive because I'm not sure that I've purposefully tried to sit down with her and explain Jesus, God, prayer, "amen", etc. I've figured she's still pretty young. But now that she will randomly insist on praying to Jesus and saying "amen" at the end when she's eating, I figured she must have some sort of idea. Also recently, after a time-out I ask her to say "Sorry, Mommy" and then we hug and say "I love you". That's not the new part though. On her own, after she says "sorry" to me, she's started to look at me and ask "Jesus?" I wasn't quite sure at first why she was equating Jesus with time-outs, but eventually I figured out that she wanted to "pray" and say sorry to Jesus also. All on her own she just started going from saying sorry to me to then folding her hands, saying sorry to Jesus, then saying "amen". I'm still unsure of what exactly she thinks she's doing and where she got that idea because, like I mentioned, I haven't ever sat down with her and tried to teach her these specific things. All I can think is that just by the people she's around, the books we read, her nursery class at church, the Christian baby DVDs, etc that she's picked up on some of this. Also maybe from some of the kids that are a little bit older than her that she's around, though it's not an every day occurrence. I'm not sure what all an 18-month-old can grasp, but either way I'm happy she's learning about God's love and the Christian faith. And it makes me realize that we, as her parents, need to be setting good examples, as it seems she's already picking up on what she sees.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment