Monday, December 29, 2008
The Basics- Plus Some.
Not really sure when the last time I updated Kylan's knowledge was due to all the Christmas happenings. But, for at least a month now, she has all the basics down pat. She can name/recognize all the main colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, black, white, brown- and even indigo from one of her color books). She can count items well, or just recite the numbers- up to 17 now. She can say her ABC's all the way through and recognize a couple of letters on their own if she sees them written. She can recognize her name when she sees it written out. She recognizes that shape of a triangle. Along with those basics, when a song comes on that she recognizes, she immediately says where she normally hears it (ie: there are certain CDs we keep in the car and certain ones that we keep in the house; there are certain songs that she learns in Sunday School; there are other songs that she knows from Grandma and Grandpa's, etc- and she always has to tell you where she has heard it before). She says "please" and "thank you" consistently now when asking for or being given something. She likes to ask "Such-and-such... where are you?" when looking for a specific toy, book, movie or person. Then when she finds it or knows where she's going to go look for it she says "I get it" or "I got it". She just recently has started to refer to herself as "Kylan". She'll say "Kylan do it" or "Kylan's such-and-such." She asks for time-outs on her own. She knows when she gets overwhelmed and/or mad and apparently wants a time-out to settle down. When she gets up she says "All settled!" and says "me-mum" (for whatever reason that's how she says "I'm sorry" at the present time) and then tells me to say "I forgive you" (haha, like she has to force me or something). She's obsessed with Tinkerbell and Dora tons. (The Tinkerbell thing blows my mind seeing as she's never even seen Peter Pan or that new fairy movie with her in it. So how/why is she so in love with her?) Some of her other favorite characters lately are Diego, Blue (from Blue's Clues), Curious George, some of the Sesame Street characters (Elmo, Grover, Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Zoe, Abby, Rosita) Mickey/Minnie Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and any of the princesses (ie: Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora/Sleeping Beauty, Belle, Ariel- which, again, makes no sense since she's never seen any princess movies at all). She got a kid-size kitchen for Christmas and now LOVES to "cook" things and "cut" food (the velcro kind) and pretend to wash her hands at the sink. She has made Daddy and Mommy many a meal (meaning a hamburger on a piece of bread or a piece of bread she calls toast) lately, and is so proud of herself for doing so. She has started "reading" to herself, where she'll sit in her rocker (yes, she'll actually sit for a short period of time!) and look at the pictures of her books and/or make up stories for the pictures she sees. That's fun to listen to! She actually has most of her stories memorized and repeats out loud what she remembers. She's taking somewhat of a "potty hiatus" at the moment. Not sure why, but she has absolutely no desire to try anymore. If I make her, she'll sit there for a minute, but nothing happens. She doesn't initiate it anymore. I'm trying to get her to pick that back up coming into the new year, since she'll be 2 come the end of February. Well, I think that's all I can think of at the moment- but I'm sure there's much more I'm missing. She does/says/learns SO much every single day that it blows my mind. More updates to come along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment