Saturday, June 14, 2008
Hot/Cold.
Kylan doesn't quite understand that some things that may be hot at one point can be cold at another point. She understands hot and cold separately, but doesn't realize that things can go from being hot to being cold, or from cold to hot. Case in point- I had heated up some sliced cooked carrots for her dinner one night. When they came out of the microwave, I brought them over to the table, but realized that they were too hot to give to her right away. I said to her "Kylan, they are too hot right now. Let's wait a minute." She recognized that they would be hot, and knew she wouldn't want to eat it hot(she hardly even likes when things are warm) so she actually waited patiently. However, when they had cooled down, I went to give them to her and when I did she scrunched up her face, put her hand up like "Hold up!" and shook her head saying "Hot! Hot!" I told her that, no, they weren't hot anymore. But she wouldn't believe me and wouldn't even try the carrots (which she normally loves and devours in an instant). On the opposite end of things, she doesn't realize that things that are normally cool, can turn hot- in the sun, for instance. She's used to being able to go down the slide we have in our back yard whenever we're outside. Well, the other day we went out on a really hot day, in the hottest part of the day no less. And when she went to climb on the slide she touched it and immediately stopped and looked at me saying "Hot!" When I touched the slide, I realized how right she was. It was too hot to touch, even for me. She was sad that she couldn't use her slide, and couldn't understand why it was hot this time, but not always, and why I couldn't change that. I wonder what her little mind is thinking sometimes when things like this happen and they can't be explained to her (15 month olds don't seem to respond well to scientific reasoning).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment