Monday, June 16, 2008

This Morning.

Well, I guess this scenario actually started a bit last night- but then this morning was when the crap hit the fan (almost literally). Last night I put Kylan in the bath and decided to really do a good scrub down. Usually baths before bed are a little on the quick side since bedtime is looming. But she had played outside in the yard all day, was covered in dirt and food and grass, and really needed a good deep cleaning. So I took the time to clean under ever finger/toe nail, behind each ear, in every fat roll, under her triple chins, etc. I scrubbed her hair/scalp for awhile, and also took the time to make sure it was parted and combed out nicely afterward (which, if you've seen Kylan's hair you'll know, is quite the task). I also took the time to take all her stuffed animals/books/toys out of her crib, strip off the sheet (which, if you have a baby you'll understand, is never easy due to the crib bumper being in the way and having to reach over the tall railing down into the deep crib) and make sure the crib was nice and clean after her bath. So after her bath I, like I mentioned already, made sure her hair was all combed through and parted, put sweet lavender smelling baby lotion all over her to keep her skin nice and smooth, changed her diaper, and just put a big T-shirt on her for pajamas since it was a really warm night. I think my mistake happened right there.

This morning, when I went in to get her, I found her diaper in the corner of the crib and Kylan rolling around in a huge wet spot of pee. Lovely. She was laying with all of her cleanly washed hair in it, her pajama shirt soaked, etc. Like I said, I think my mistake was putting her to bed in just a t-shirt instead of with shorts, pants, a onesie or ANYTHING that would have covered her diaper and made it harder for her to get it off. With it being out in the open she must have just thought it'd be fun to tear open the tabs and free herself.

So I immediately pick her up out of the mess, carry her to her bathroom, and start the water for her second bath in 12 hours (with only sleeping happening in between). I still use her "baby" tub inside the big tub, because she likes to play a lot while she's bathing and in the regular tub alone, she moves and slips and slides too much and can't stay upright. The tub she uses has a sort of divider that is in front of her that keeps her from all that and allows her to play without any of those problems. So I set her down in the tub, she begins playing, and I run to her bedroom to start stripping off her sheet (which had also just been clean 12 hours before hand). Ryan can see into Kylan's bathroom from his office, so he was just working at his desk with her in his peripheral vision. A minute later I hear him get up, walk to the bathroom, then say "Um, Sarita... Kylan pooped in the tub." Now, I had really hoped that since she hadn't had anything to eat yet and had pooped before bed last night, this wouldn't happen. I guess I was wrong. So I go in the check- (for all of you who do not have children and do not care to hear gross poop stories, you may want to stop here) - and find that it wasn't exactly just plain old regular poop. It was a pretty good amount of diarrhea that she (and her 50 bath toys) were sitting in as it swirled around her, turning the water disgusting colors. And it smelled. Gross.

At this point, I grab Kylan out of her little tub, put her naked wet self on the bathroom floor, take out all the toys, and Ryan takes it outside into the side yard and dumps it and hoses it down. Well at this point, Kylan tries to take a step and, being all wet, starts slipping around the tile floor and then almost does a split as she falls down and bumps her head on the way down. So now I have a naked, wet, screaming toddler who's trying to jump all over me (remember, she still hasn't been bathed after sitting in the poop water), a husband outside spraying poop out of a tub, and trying to fill up the regular bath tub so that I can clean my child and all of her toys- all of this happening within the first 5-10 minutes of her waking up.

Now that's what I call an eventful morning.

I eventually got Kylan cleaned off and bathed (while the entire time I was trying to hold onto her and keep her from slipping around, which she did not care for), the little tub cleaned out, the toys cleaned, and my child dressed and in her highchair for breakfast.

Let's hope tomorrow is much less eventful.

2 comments:

Kristy O. said...

hahahahaha!!!

i love a good poop story! you handled it amazingly well! it takes a mom to be able to lift a child out of poop in a seconds notice without a second thought...

Anonymous said...

This is AWESOME! I've yet to have poop in the tub but Dan and I have BOTH stepped in it in one week when we were starting potty training and in the moments between taking his diaper off and putting him on the potty, he would go on my CREAM rug w/o us seeing it! And we stepped in it! And I was like pregnant and nausiated. FUN!